26 February 2010

let there be light...

After waiting for two weeks for the landlord and then a further week for the hospital maintenance staff to sort it, I elected to sort out our kitchen light myself. I don’t own a tester here so there was a small calculated risk involved but without any injury/electrocution we now have light in our kitchen! All that is left is to put a lick of paint here and there. Earlier this week I had given up on sorting the dripping tap in the bathroom. I made an attempt to find the isolator for the water mains, which was an experience. I deduced that there must be some pipes behind a large piece of board in our downstairs toilet. I removed this to find a space shared with our neighbours. I could actually see through a vent into their downstairs toilet! In this space there were indeed some pipes and a tap but also several nests, some skeletons and a decomposing bird – lush! I turned the tap to find that I had successfully turned off the water, but only downstairs. I looked up in the space to find another tap further up. I donned a white coat and clambered into the space, dead bird and all. I was about 2 inches short of reaching the other tap... most frustrating! Kit came home to find me in a very dirty white coat, and nothing else! It turns out I couldn’t access the base of the tap in the bathroom anyway without removing tiles and plaster... not a job for the Leatherman! I might make yet another request from the administration at the hospital but am not going to hold my breath!

Watch this space for more news and pictures as we have planned yet another trip this weekend... but no horses this time!!

1 comment:

  1. Kit came home to find you in a white coat and nothing else? Saucy! Did you mix her up a love potion from dead birds and twigs?

    Glad to hear you can finally have dinner at a dinnerish hour. Enjoy!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete