20 July 2010

emotional times

Life in Lesotho has changed quite a bit in the last couple of weeks. The most dramatic change being that the world cup is over. As I estimate I only missed about half a dozen games, I suddenly have lots of free evenings again. The week leading up to the final was particularly emotional as there was a mad hunt to get tickets for the match. Some of you may have been under the impression, as I was, that I had managed to secure some tickets, unfortunately they did not materialise. It is a long and disappointing story which ends with me and my fellow Anlgo-Dutch friend, Hesse, standing outside Soccer City stadium on the afternoon of 11th of July, faces painted, flags flying but with no way in!! As the days have gone past the pain is numbing somewhat!!


Apart from football, the other major change is the departures of friends. June and July appear to be when many contracts end, so a lot of the expat community is leaving or has left. Most of the Welsh teachers and their mentor, Helen, have also left. In the last few weeks a number of them have stayed with us, but now after farewell parties, they have left us too. As a result our social life has taken a bit of a hit! The weather remains bitterly cold in the evenings especially so Kit and I are spending them covered in blankets, by our gas heater, watching films on the laptop. Although it is cold, I cannot recall having seen a cloud for the last month, so the afternoons are often pleasantly warm. The days are getting longer and tennis is back on the agenda. Last weekend, we ventured back out onto the courts after the winter break and I even managed to win a set (...just)! We have been busy planning for visits from our nearest and dearest over the spring and summer months. In summary, we are in a transition. Friends have left, but the winter is coming to an end and we are eagerly awaiting the arrival of friends and relatives over the coming months.

Work is going well although it has been particularly busy. A number of my colleagues have been moved out of Maseru into the district hospitals and haven’t been replaced, so we are a little short staffed. I am also making time three days a week, to go to the TB clinic and am successfully identifying patients for my study. After a hiccup with equipment failure, Kit is now also getting into full swing. I’m sure she’ll let you all know about that soon.

1 comment:

  1. Poor you - and to think I spent the whole of the final looking out for you. Should have looked especially when they did bird's eye views showing the outside of the stadium too... Seriously, what a pain after all the effort you went to to get there and get all togged up.

    Love the pictures of you snuggling up! Brrrr! Hope you make some new friends soon to keep you occupied of an evening. More bridge sleepovers!

    ReplyDelete